Carrot and squash ginger soup
By Sugar Free Team on
Soup doesn’t have to be high in fat to be satisfying. Perfect for a chilly fall evening, this healthy recipe is sure to warm up your whole family. This quick and easy soup feels like indulgence, but without the guilt, so eat up!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups baby carrots packaged
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb butternut squash peeled, cubed
- 1 apple Granny Smith, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, no sodium added
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook carrots, onion, ginger and garlic, stirring until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in squash, apple, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Puree using immersion blender or in batches with a blender.
Recipe courtesy of Half Your Plate, a healthy living initiative that empowers Canadians of all ages to eat more fruits and vegetables.