Easy Curry Lentil Soup with Kale
By Rachel Dickens on
Prep Time: 10 Min ; Cook Time: 20 Min; Ready In: 30 Min
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala*
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 carrots, diced
- 28oz can of tomatoes in juice
- 4-5 cups of organic vegetable stock**
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 cups of kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- plain yogurt
- cilantro, chopped
*garam masala can be found in the spice section of some grocery stores, or in Indian specialty stores and is a combination of spices which may include cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay, black pepper, star anise, dried chilies, coriander and cumin. If you cannot find it, curry powder can be substituted.
**homemade stock is best, otherwise look for a good quality one with no added MSG.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add onions sauteing until translucent, usually around 3-5 minutes. Add carrot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric and cumin and saute until fragrant, usually around 30 seconds.
- Next add the canned tomatoes, stock and red lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until lentils are tender and have broken apart – around 10-15 minutes.
- Add kale and taste the soup and add salt and pepper as necessary. Add chili if using. Cook for 1-2 minutes more or until kale has wilted. Remove from heat.
- To serve squeeze lemon juice over individual servings of soup, and top with a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped cilantro.
Make it vegan: Omit plain yogurt.
Add more protein: Add a drained can of chickpeas with the kale.
Boost the vegetables: Add 2 cups of chopped mushrooms 5 minutes before adding the kale
You can visit Rachel's website here.