By Sugar Free Team on
Savoury comfort foods are always a hit during the chilly winter months. With this eggplant lasagna, you can have a hearty winter meal AND ditch the starch! Eliminate lasagna noodles in favour of a more nutritious and wholesome eggplant take that your family won’t be able to get enough of.
Yield: 4-5 Servings | Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-5 basil leaves, to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, dip each eggplant slice into egg followed by breadcrumbs. Place eggplant on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spray the eggplant with cooking spray then bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn eggplant, spray again, and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. You can also skip the breading and just roast the eggplant in the oven with salt and pepper for approximately 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, make the marinara. In a saucepan over medium high, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots and zucchini and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms have released their water.
- Lastly, add garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and basil and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook on low with lid for 30 minutes. Once sauce has reduced, add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- For the cheese “sauce,” beat together ricotta, egg, and one cup of the mozzarella and set aside.
- Time to layer! Spread a bit of marinara at the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then layer eggplant, marinara, eggplant, cheese and repeat until all ingredients are used. Top off the lasagna with the remaining cup of mozzarella.
- Bake at 375° covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Recipe courtesy of Half Your Plate, a healthy living initiative that empowers Canadians of all ages to eat more fruits and vegetables