Savory Chickpea Waffles
By Amanda Li on
A naturally gluten-free, high protein waffle made with garbanzo bean flour.
Ingredients (makes 1 waffle)
- ½ cup chickpea flour*
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup onion or shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- To taste sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
*For more protein and fibre, try swapping the chickpea flour with lentil flour. Add 1 tsp of baking powder to keep the waffles fluffy and not too dense!
- In a bowl, add the chickpea flour and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add the water and whisk until smooth. Add 1 tbsp of oil and whisk to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let the batter set for 2 hours.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, transfer the mixture into the chickpea batter, and stir to combine.
- Pour the chickpea batter into your hot waffle iron and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until golden and crispy! To serve, cut the chickpea waffle into wedges and dollop with guacamole or salsa.
• If you do not have a waffle iron, do not fret, instead all you have to do is preheat the oven to 425oF in Step 2. Then, cook your onions, garlic and cilantro in an oven-safe pan. In Step 3, instead of pouring the chickpea batter into the waffle iron, you would pour the batter back into the non-stick skillet and place into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
• Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheated in a toaster oven.
You can visit Amanda's website here.