Spicy Turkey Vegetable Casserole
By EatRightOntario on
All-in-one casseroles always make dinner easy. Serve this one up with some rice to sop up any juices or some warm corn bread.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 package (450 g) ground turkey (chicken or beef)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups hot salsa
- 3 cups cooked broccoli florets
- Half yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shredded light old cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown turkey with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Spread turkey into 8 inch (1.5 L) baking dish. Spread with half of the salsa. Top with broccoli and pepper. Spread with remaining salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through, bubbly and cheese is melted.
TIP: Instead of ground meat, try 1 package (350 g) of ground textured vegetable protein or 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) of black beans, drained and rinsed. This is a great way to use up leftover vegetables, try it out with cauliflower, peppers or zucchini.
Recipe and photo courtesy of EatRightOntario.