The Ultimate Veggie Pizza
By Sugar Free Team on
Pizza is a beloved comfort food, but it doesn’t usually spring to mind when we’re thinking about planning for healthy family meals. Next time you’re craving pizza, skip the takeout and try this delicious, healthy take on the classic. By loading on the veggies and skipping the fatty meats, you really can have your cake (er, pizza) and eat it too!
- 26 oz fresh whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cup baby red potatoes
- 1 pkg cremini mushrooms
- 1 pkg cherry tomatoes
- 1 sweet red or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Set oven rack to lower third and preheat oven to 475°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, brush potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, red pepper and red onion with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once; let cool slightly and toss with red wine vinegar and garlic.
- Meanwhile, line separate baking sheet with parchment paper. On lightly floured surface, gently stretch and roll dough to prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over dough and top with vegetables. Bake until crust is browned and top is bubbling and golden, 20-25 minutes.
- In bowl, toss together arugula and vinegar; arrange over pizza.
Recipe courtesy of Half Your Plate, a healthy living initiative that empowers Canadians of all ages to eat more fruits and vegetables.